Saturday 30 June 2012

27. South Lancing 1949 Coach Outing group ~ Derek Gorham

Thanks to Derek Gorham for this picture,
he does not know what the occasion for the trip was.
Does anyone recognise it?

Click on the image to enlarge
Derek says: I think I can just remember going on coach trips that may have been organized by Mr and Mrs Cotton but who was invited I do not know; Mr Cotton ran the grocers in Crabtree Lane next to Towners the outfitters and the Cottons and the Gorhams were lifelong friends. 
We always seemed to stop en route at Portsdown north of Portsmouth but I am sure that wasn't always the case.
 The date is almost certainly 1949 because I am the baby being held by my Mum in the doorway of the King of the Road coach. Dad is the squatter on the left. Two down is Gilbert Page who worked in the carriage works and I would guess behind him to the right is his wife, Elsie, in the masculine hat.  Mr Alwyn Cotton is wearing glasses and is almost isolated between the two elderly ladies with big hats. His wife Irene is just behind the central man with a dark jacket and white shirt. Bill Hendy {see the Home Guard pic} is back right and his wife is in front. I have no idea who the rest are nor why they were on the trip together.

No comments: