Thanks to everyone who has contributed, I am always very pleased to hear a new story.
Thanks also to all the visitors who have read any of the stories.

While reading please be sure to click on the comments links beneath the stories.

Saturday, 12 April 2014

36. George Forrest

My name is George Forrest I was born in 1935 in Worthing but moved to Lancing before my third birthday. I moved out to live in Brighton For 50 years. I now have Parkinson's, hence the reason for returning to Lancing, It is flat. Parkinson's makes me tire very quickly, so I hope you will bear with me. I have recently been visiting Chesham House and have acquired a copy of Lancing Village memories (edition 2). Some of the stories took me back. During the war years we, my mother, my younger sister and I lived with my maternal grandparents in the thatched cottages opposite the "Farmers", roughly where the "Rainbow" is now.

My grandfather was a market gardener employed by Frank Fuller whose ground was on the north side of Sompting Road. where "Rosecroft" is now. Rosecroft was the name of Frank Fullers house. Almost opposite was Lishers coal yard and stables for his cart horses. We always had to be lifted up to see over the bottom half of the door the horses in their stable. I believe it was Sid Lisher , but I could well be wrong. Lishers coal yard was a small siding which held about 6 - 8 coal wagons. There the Lishers men would weigh and bag up the coal, put it onto the cart ready to be delivered. The horses would be fetched from their stable and hitched up. Sid would climb up onto the cart and with his cap with the peak at the side would start his round.. When all the coal was delivered Sid would get onto the cart and fall asleep (or at least appear to). The horses would make their own way back to the railway siding and stop. It didn't matter where the round ended, the horses knew their way back. My memory tells me that the horses seemed to ignore the rest of the traffic. Goodness only knows what they would make of it today. Back home they were taken back to the stable, fed and watered.Of course the stable is no longer there but it can be positioned exactly. Walk along the south kerb of Sompting Road and just before it starts to bend slightly to the right there is a little dip in the kerb line, this was to allow the horses to walk straight through the stable door.

My fingers are getting tired, must sign off, if this is of interest, I will see what else I can recall.

Editors note... I will be writing to George to say 'Yes please', for more marvelous memories


Simon Wilson said...

Thank you so much for the phenominal effort this must have taken. Looking forward to more stories. Best wishes, Heather.

Robert John said...

I am from South Lancing, norn there in 1941, i have many memories of those times, if you are interested, i will be happy to communicate
Robert John F. Woollard

Ray Hamblett said...

Robert, It would be marvellous to hear your memories of Lancing, i hope you will write about all you can remember for us.
I dont have your email address so i hope you check the reply :)


Anonymous said...

Found this almost by accident! Wonderful memories of a lovely place. Please write more.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful memories about a wonderful place. Our Lancing. More please!

Graham Funnell said...

On the subject of the Lisher cart-horses, I well remember, as a child, seeing them in their flint stable and out on their rounds, in the late 1950's. I recall both Unigate and Co-op dairies finished using horses at about the same time as Lishers, around 1962. "Joey" the milk-horse, was a favourite with the children, and he reputedly knew exactly which houses to stop outside of. Joey was always given a carrot or some other treat when he got to our house, in Annweir Avenue, which probably jogged his memory of where to stop !

That's probably where my life-long affection for horses started, and why my family and I currently
look after so many elderly rescued ones !