Thursday 30 April 2020

52. Keith Lenham sent this memory


Keith Lenham keithlenham123@btinternet.com



Hello Ray,

A friend suggested that I look at all the reminiscences posted on your blog.

My name is Keith Lenham born in Lancing in 1945, my parents died when I was very young and my brother and I were brought up by an aunt and uncle in Grand Avenue.
I was educated at North Lancing Primary School and then on to Worthing Technical High School. My brother Les being older than me was educated at Worthing High School.

So much has already been written, a significant amount of which is very familiar to me, names, places shops etc with much of my youth spent in the Little Park, Lancing Manor and up on the Downs in the first and second clumps, the chalk pit and also the beach in summer.

Upon leaving school I took up an apprenticeship with F G Miles who at that time was located at River Bank works in Shoreham, Much fun was had working on the design of the Bristol Boxkite which Miles made for the film The Magnificent Men and Their Flying Machines. Bob Bushby was also an apprentice at that time. I subsequently worked for several other companies based in the UK.

My brother Les went on to play cricket for Sussex as a professional, he is now of course retired and living in Eastbourne but I’m sure that he will remember Mike Reynolds and Ron Kerridge. His son Neil also played for Sussex and likewise, he lives in Eastbourne.

Horace Duke was mentioned in an article, this character I remember well, in his latter but still active years he was often seen on his Frances Barnet motorcycle around the area.

Just a snippet but hopefully informative


Regards
Keith

2 comments:

Vans byne said...

I remember you and your aunt as I was in your class at North lancing. I have a nice photo of you taken at my birthday party the only boy there!!

Vans byne said...

By